Cat accidents can leave unsightly patches in your carpets. Here are a few tips to prevent the stain from becoming a permanent fixture if you’re lucky enough to catch it when it happens.
What to do:
- Act quickly.
- Remove as much urine as possible using paper towels.
- Blot, don’t rub.
- If the stain is dry, pour cold water on it and blot.
- Avoid using cleaners with ammonia. Cat urine contains ammonia, and the similar smells could encourage the cat to mark the same spot again.
Even after the visual evidence has been cleaned, the smell might linger. The longer it sits, the worse the odor becomes. Be sure to clean as soon as possible.
What to avoid:
- Over the counter and DIY solutions will only temporarily mask any odors or stains.
- Avoid using a steam cleaning option because steam can actually lock in the smell.
The Deeper Damage
Although you have cleaned the part of the carpet that is immediately noticeable, there can be more problems that are harder to see at first. Many times, the urine will soak through to the padding and the sub-floor. A surface cleaning will not reach these areas. In order to prevent permanent damage to your carpet and the area beneath, consider bringing in a professional to give your carpet a deeper cleaning. A professional cleaning can also remove bacteria and allergens, allowing you to avoid unfortunate health problems.
Once the carpet or furniture are clean, how can you ensure that the same thing won’t happen again? There are a few steps you can take to make a repeat accident less likely.
- Address problems quickly so that they don’t become “normal” behavior.
- If your cat is spraying, make it feel secure in its territory.
- Provide easy access to the litter box.
- Clean the litter box often and consistently.
There could be several reasons your cat is not using his litter box. It’s important to check that the behavior is not caused by a medical condition, such as digestive disorders or muscle/joint pain. If your cat is regularly having accidents, take him to see your vet.
We also recommend consulting with a professional carpet cleaning service like Chem-Dry to be certain you address the cleaning issue.